Applicants to the Doctoral Program in Social Work must meet the following criteria:
- Have an MSW with a grade point average of 3.0 or better from a school accredited by the Council on Social Work Education;
- Have a bachelor’s degree with a grade point average of 3.0 or better from an accredited college;
- Have a minimum of two years post MSW experience in social work;
- Have values consistent with the profession of social work
Applicants to the PhD Program will be evaluated based on several criteria, including but not limited to applicant’s potential for scholarship, knowledge, research, commitment and promise, conceptual and analytical skills, commitment to diversity and disadvantaged populations, letters of reference, professional experience and potential for success in the program.
PhD Application Deadline
The electronic application and all required documents must be submitted/received by January 15.
The Application Process
UConn School of Social Work uses an online self-managed application process. This process places the responsibility on the applicant for the collection and submission of all documents.
The application requires:
- General Application Information – Personal, Enrollment, Citizenship, Educational Institutions, and Employment Experience.
- Recommendations – Three professional references
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vita
- Writing Sample
- Residence Affidavit
- Test Scores – GRE
International Applicants must also provide:
- Test Scores – TOEFL
- Financial Declaration Form
Please note: Any materials submitted in addition to those listed above will not be reviewed as part of the application.
Please see the How to Apply for PhD and read the Application Instructions before starting the online application. The Application Instructions contain detailed information regarding each of the required application pieces. For additional information, download the PowerPoint from our Application Workshop held October 13, 2016.
Access the Online Application on the How to Apply for PhD page
Questions? If you have questions regarding the application process or have trouble uploading documents, please contact the PhD Program office at 860.570.9323.