University of Connecticut

Financial Aid

The School of Social Work Office of Admission and Financial Aid is committed to assisting students determine eligibility for all financial aid to which they may be entitled according to federal, state and university regulations and policies.

The School of Social Work offers several different types of financial aid including Federal Stafford Loans, and On and Off Campus Federal Work-Study. To qualify:

  • You must be either a United States citizen or permanent resident
  • If you are interested in Federal Stafford Loans or Work-Study, you cannot be in default on any previously borrowed federal education loans
  • You must be enrolled in a degree program
  • You must be enrolled for a minimum of five credits each semester

In addition, every academic year you must complete the required Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1. You will be notified if other documents are needed.

Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for financial aid at the same time they apply for admission to the School. Work-study funds are limited and therefore, awarded first-come first-serve basis. Applications received after March 1st may not qualify for work-study.

Alternative education loans are available for students not meeting these criteria and for students needing additional assistance.

There are also scholarships offered through the School for which you can apply. Students will receive an email notification from the Office of Student and Academic Services when the application information is available.  Email notification will be sent in mid-October.

Graduate Assistantships for PhD Students

If you are a PhD student and wish to apply for an assistantship or fellowship, select yes after the appropriate question on the application for admission. Academic departments make decisions on the award of graduate assistantships or fellowships, not the Graduate School. Assistantships and fellowships may be available for MSW students through externally funded grants with the School of Social Work. Assistantships and fellowships may also be available through other university departments or schools, or from outside agencies (i.e. UConn Health Center, UConn Student Health Services).

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Applicants for financial aid should apply at the same time that they apply for admission to the School. All University aid disbursed through the Office of Admission and Financial Aid is based on financial need. School of Social Work students fund their education through varying combinations of personal resources, University grant aid, Federal Work-Study, and Federal Education Loans.

To apply for financial aid:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid(FAFSA) online at
  • The FAFSA becomes available on January 1.
  • Students must complete a FAFSA each academic year.
  • Enter UConn’s Federal School Code, 001417, on the FAFSA for all campuses.
  • The FAFSA must be received by the Federal Processor on or before March 1 to be considered on time.
  • Continuing students who applied for financial aid this past year should have received a Federal Student Aid PIN issued by the U.S. Department of Education. If you need to apply for a PIN, go to
  • Further information about completing the FAFSA can be found at FAFSA Frequently Asked Questions.

The Personal Identification Number (PIN) assigned by the U.S. Department of Education may be used to file the FAFSA. If a PIN number is used for filing FAFSA on the Web, no signature is necessary and filing is instantly accomplished without having to mail a signature page. A pin number may be obtained prior to filing the FAFSA by clicking on Personal Identification Number (PIN) link above.

The FAFSA requires information you can gather from your Federal taxes and W-2s.

I have submitted my FAFSA. Now what?

Check your University email account at This account is the University’s official means of communication with students. Once you have been accepted to UConn and the Office of Student Financial Aid Services (OSFAS) has received your FAFSA data from the Federal Central Processing System (CPS), you will receive an email communication via your University email account.

This communication will direct you to access the Student Administration System either to identify what additional information is required to continue the processing of your financial aid application, or to take action on your financial aid award package. You are responsible for checking your University email account frequently for information about your financial aid package.

Deadline: March 1

Other Required Documents

If selected for verification or determined necessary by the Office of Financial Aid, you will be notified via email.

Verification Process Information

Print the appropriate form from below and submit it to the Financial Aid Office: