University of Connecticut

Financial Aid

The School of Social Work Office of Admission and Financial Aid is committed to assisting students determine eligibility for all financial aid to which they may be entitled according to federal, state and university regulations and policies.

The School of Social Work offers several different types of financial aid including Federal Stafford Loans, and On and Off Campus Federal Work-Study. To qualify:

  • You must be either a United States citizen or permanent resident
  • If you are interested in Federal Stafford Loans or Work-Study, you cannot be in default on any previously borrowed federal education loans
  • You must be enrolled in a degree program
  • You must be enrolled for a minimum of five credits each semester

In addition, every academic year you must complete the required Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1. You will be notified if other documents are needed.

Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for financial aid at the same time they apply for admission to the School. Work-study funds are limited and therefore, awarded first-come first-serve basis. Applications received after March 1st may not qualify for work-study.

Alternative education loans are available for students not meeting these criteria and for students needing additional assistance.

There are also scholarships offered through the School for which you can apply. Students will receive an email notification from the Office of Student and Academic Services when the application information is available.  Email notification will be sent in mid-October.

Graduate Assistantships for PhD Students

If you are a PhD student and wish to apply for an assistantship or fellowship, select yes after the appropriate question on the application for admission. Academic departments make decisions on the award of graduate assistantships or fellowships, not the Graduate School. Assistantships and fellowships may be available for MSW students through externally funded grants with the School of Social Work. Assistantships and fellowships may also be available through other university departments or schools, or from outside agencies (i.e. UConn Health Center, UConn Student Health Services).

How to Apply for Need-Based Financial Aid at UConn

  1.  Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA: Students who are admitted in the summer semester will need to complete the FAFSA for the current academic year (2015-2016), as well as the upcoming academic year (2016-2017).
  2. Complete UConn’s Graduate Enrollment Information Form available in our form portal.
  3. Students who begin their program in the summer term will need to complete a Summer Financial Aid application, which is available in the Student Administration System.
  4. After your financial aid award is created, our office will notify you via e-mail at your UConn e-mail address. At this time, you can access the Student Administration System (SA System) to review your financial aid award, to take action on your aid offer, and to complete all steps on the Financial Aid Action page.
  5. If you are a first time borrower at UConn and you intend to accept your Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan offer, complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling on-line here.
  6. If you are a first time Federal Graduate PLUS Loan borrower at UConn and you intend to accept your  Federal Graduate PLUS Loan, complete the PLUS Master Promissory Note (PMPN) on-line here.
  7. You will also need to complete the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan Application for the fall/spring semesters (combined) and for the summer semester (separately) on-line here.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a required document used to determine a student’s eligibility for federal aid such as Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Work-Study, etc.

Most of the information you need to complete the FAFSA is on your federal income tax return, if one is filed. You can also import your IRS data directly into your FAFSA on the web if you have filed your income tax returns and do not owe a tax debt to the Internal Revenue Service.

Students entering UConn in the upcoming academic year should complete the FAFSA on the web at as soon as possible after January 1st.

Students who are admitted in the summer semester will need to complete the FAFSA for the current academic year (2015-2016), as well as the upcoming academic year (2016-2017).

If you have not yet filed your tax return, estimate your tax information. After you file your tax return, you can update/correct your FAFSA. UConn’s school code is 001417.

To be considered on-time at UConn, you must submit your FAFSA by March 1st. The awarding of several forms of financial assistance is reserved for applications received and logged in by the federal processor on or before this on-time application deadline. Please note that all awards are based upon fund availability.

After you file your FAFSA, review your Student Aid Report (SAR), which will be sent to you by the federal processor. If the data on the SAR is correct, keep it for your records. If the data is incorrect, submit your changes directly to the federal processor.

If your FAFSA is rejected, make the adjustments following the instructions on the SAR. Contact our office after you receive your valid SAR.

If you do not receive a SAR within four weeks after submission, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 to determine if your application has been processed.

Types of Financial Aid

The Office of Student Financial Aid Services administers need-based financial aid for Graduate Students.

Need-Based Financial Aid

  • SW Tuition Remission Grant
  • Federal Work-Study (FWS)
  • Federal Direct Stafford Loans (FDSL)

SW Tuition Remission Grants are offered to eligible full-time graduate students, whose FAFSA has been received by the federal processor on or before UConn’s on-time FAFSA deadline, March 1st.

These funds are limited and are awarded based on financial need and fund availability. They do not require repayment. Students who are not paying UConn tuition, have a tuition waiver, or are reimbursed for their tuition by an employer or other third party are not eligible for this grant.

Student Employment

Federal Work-Study is awarded to students as part of their financial aid package. Work-Study is a program that allows you to earn money to help pay for educational expenses. Unlike other forms of financial aid, Work-Study is not applied to your fee bill. To earn your Work-Study award, you must secure a Work-Study job. These funds are limited and are awarded based on financial need and fund availability.

Job opportunities are listed on the Student Employment website. You will receive a paycheck bi-weekly for the hours you work to spend on living expenses.

Federal Direct Loans

Details about Federal Direct Stafford Loans and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans are available here.


The Federal Central Processing System (CPS) selects approximately 30% of all FAFSA applications received each year for verification, a process that requires the Office of Student Financial Aid Services (OSFAS) to confirm the data supplied by the applicant and/or spouse on the student’s FAFSA is accurate.

The Student Aid Report (SAR) you receive after your FAFSA has been processed will indicate whether or not your file has been selected for verification. If your application has been selected for verification, an email will be sent to your University email account alerting you to check the Student Administration System to determine what additional documentation you will be required to submit before your financial aid application will be processed.

Please respond promptly to information requests from our office, and do not submit income tax forms unless requested by us. The preferred method to send in requested documentation is via fax at 860-486-6629. Please be sure that your Student ID, and name are on all pages.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

All need-based financial aid recipients and University funded and merit scholarship recipients must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards, which are based on federal regulations.

Graduate students are required to maintain a 3.00 grade point average, and must complete 75% of the number of cumulative credit hours attempted (pace), and must complete degree requirements before attempting 200 credits (maximum time frame)  The full Satisfactory Academic Progress policy is available here.

Contact Information:

Mailing Address:
Student Financial Aid Services
233 Glenbrook Road Unit 4116
Storrs, CT 06269-4116
Phone: 860-486-2819
Fax: 860-486-6629