University of Connecticut University of UC Title Fallback Connecticut

Non-Degree Program


Greetings,Erich Priest (1)

We are excited that you are considering taking a course through our Non-Degree Program. A variety of morning, afternoon, evening and special schedule classes are available to help accommodate students’ personal and professional time commitments.

The Non-Degree Program enables you to register for graduate social work courses as a non-matriculated student. The program is ideal for:

  • Enrolling in courses to lighten your course load before applying to the MSW program
  • Helping to make a career decision about social work
  • Identifying career development courses for human service professionals

Important Information Regarding Non-Degree Enrollment

  • Individuals must have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
  • Students may take courses during the Fall, Spring, Summer and Winter Intersession.
  • A maximum of 6 credits may be taken each semester not to exceed a total of 15 credits.
  • Registration is on a space-available basis.
  • 2-credit courses meet weekly for 2.5 hours for 10 weeks and 3-credit courses meet weekly for 2.5 hours for the entire 14 week semester or by special schedule.
  • Non-degree status does not constitute, guarantee, or imply admission or readmission into any program at UConn.

Important Information Regarding Transfer of Non-Degree Credits to MSW Program

  • All grades earned of B (not B-) or higher will be transferred to the student’s graduate record in their last semester.
  • A maximum of 15 credits can be transferred to your graduate record, no exceptions made.
  • Credits for courses are only valid for 6 years from the intended date of graduation. Students should plan accordingly taking the 6 year limit into consideration.

Non-Degree Program Academic and Policy Information

It is the student’s responsibility to monitor credits earned while enrolled in the program. Students with a low GPA, excessive incomplete grades or withdrawals from courses cannot continue unless approved by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Students who exceed the maximum allowable credit limit will be required to withdraw or will be administratively withdrawn from those credits that exceed the limit without benefit of a refund. The University of Connecticut School of Social Work reserves the right to remove unauthorized registrations without benefit of a refund.

Policy on Class Attendance

The University of Connecticut Graduate School has no official policy on allowed absences from class; individual instructors are permitted to consider class attendance in determining the final grade for a course. The instructor should describe the computation of the grade and the relation between grades and attendance at the beginning of the semester.

Where grades depend on classroom participation, which is true for the majority of courses offered at the School of Social Work, absences may affect the student’s grade. Based on this principle, an excessive number of absences may be grounds for failure in the course. Excessive absence is defined as missing 25 percent or more of a course.

This is particularly important to consider for classes that meet in alternative formats, especially all day sessions. Missing one session would constitute an excessive absence from the class. Students should not register for such a course if they know in advance that they will not be able to attend all sessions.

If an emergency or some unforeseen circumstance causes the student to miss a full day session, he/she should be in immediate contact with the instructor. In most cases the resolution will be withdrawal from the course.

Click on the links below to review additional important information:

Calendars and Class Schedules
Course Descriptions
Directions and Parking
Fees/Payment/Refund Information
Focused Areas of Study
Form to Drop a Non-Degree Course
How to Register
Parking Services
Student Administration Account/Google Apps@UConn/HuskyCT
Weather Closing/Emergency Alert Notification System

For further information please consider attending an information session on the MSW and Non-Degree Programs or email