Welcome to the University of Connecticut School of Social Work!
We look forward to working with you at your Orientation and Advising Session to collaboratively help you plan a course of study that will enable you to successfully complete the Master of Social Work Degree. Please complete all 5 steps listed below and carefully review all the information below before your Orientation and Advising Session. Special attention should be given to the Academic Information in Step 2. Please come prepared with the printed material indicated in red and any questions you may have regarding the program.
Step 1: Determine If You Are Ready for Field Placement & Print Plan of Study:
Can you handle taking four or five courses? Can you change your schedule to accommodate taking a 15- or 20-hour week field placement in addition to taking four or five courses? If you answered YES to these questions, then you are prepared to go into field placement in the Fall 2015 semester. If you answered NO, you may want to consider postponing your field placement until the Fall 2016 semester of the following year.
- What You Need to Know About Field Education
- Field Education Placement Process – Review before completing Field Placement Form
- Incoming Students Placement Form – Print Form, Complete and Attach Resume; mail it to the Field Education Office
- Print Plan of Study – Select and print Plan of Study for your Method Concentration and bring to your session
Step 2: Review Academic Information
- Would You Like to Organize Your Electives in a Focused Area of Study?
- Lighten Your Course Load by Taking a Summer Course Through Non-Degree Program
- Calendars and Class Schedules
- MSW Course Directory
Step 3: Review Building Bridges Information
Our Building Bridges Program links incoming students (peer partners) with returning students (ambassadors) to foster a supportive relationship to ease the transition of new students into the UConn School of Social Work MSW Program. Learn more about the Building Bridges Program.
Step 4: Review Save the Dates
- Convocation on Cultural Competence (required) | Meet & Greet Social
- Research Waiver Examination
- Husky OneCard Photo (required)
- SSW Graduate Student Organization Gathering
Step 5: Review Resources & Complete Paperwork
- Health Information
- Sexual Violence Awareness
- Disability Services
- Financial Aid
- Graduate Student Organization
- GSO Greater Hartford Resources – Includes housing resources
- Housing Directory
- Parking Services/Public Safety (Vehicle Registration Information Form)
- Harleigh B. Trecker Library
- Computer Center
- New Student Technology Training
- UConn Co-Op
- Microsoft/Windows Software for Students
- Writing Assistance
- Career Services
Students talk about their Method Concentration: