The 2010 finalists for the UConn Provost’s Awards for Excellence in Public Engagement were announced on Friday, October 22nd. The School of Social Work is doubly proud to have finalists in the Program and Staff categories.
The Nancy A. Humphreys Institute for Political Social Work Practice (NAHIPSW) is one of the finalists in the Program category for its contributions to public engagement through political advocacy, training, organizing, and community engagement focused on efforts to create positive change for low income and other disenfranchised groups and overcoming structural inequalities. Click to read more about the Nancy A. Humphreys Institute for Political Social Work Practice.
Reesa Olins, Director of Outreach, Continuing Education and Alumni Relations, is a finalist in the Staff category for her work as the Principal Investigator of a post-master’s certificate program on Clinical Issues in Adoption. The program is a collaboration between the UConn School of Social Work, Southern Connecticut State University, the Connecticut Department of Children & Families, and Casey Family Services. Now in its fifth year, the certificate program has provided, and continues to provide, advanced level training to over 110 human service professional. Click to read more about the Adoption Certificate Program.
The selection committee evaluated the nominations on the degree to which the nominees met the following criteria in performing public engagement activities:
- Sustained leadership in working with the public and/or with external organizations.
- Innovative ways of working for the well being of citizens and communities.
- Documented excellence in extending University knowledge.
- Evidence of the impact on a target audience.
- Demonstrated intellectual, professional, and/or career growth as a result of the experience.
- Evidence of impact on scholarship/research, instruction and curriculum development, or evidence of national significance in the field.
All finalists will be honored at a reception on Monday, November 29th. The winner in each category will be announced at the award ceremony and will receive a $500.00 award.