BSW Admission Qualifications
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements to apply:
- Must be a University of Connecticut undergraduate student or transfer student from an accredited college/university.
- Must have completed 54 credits including all or majority of the general education credits required by UConn (junior or 2 years at the institution) at a school or college other than the School of Social Work. This can be either the Storrs or one of the regional campuses.
- Transfer students: Must submit the UConn application with required documents to Undergraduate Admissions prior to submitting a BSW application. Please review the necessary information for transfer students at the UConn Undergraduate Admissions website.
- Transfer students must have completed 54 credits including all or majority of the general education credits required by UConn. Review of transfer credits will be considered as part of your application evaluation.
- Transfer students must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.7 or higher
- UConn Students must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
The School of Social Work is in the process of applying for accreditation to the Council on Social Work Education, the national accrediting body. The UConn SSW MSW program has been continuously accredited since 1949. CSWE accreditation is a multi-step process utilizing a benchmark framework that includes program self-studies, site visits, and Committee on Accreditation (COA) reviews. While this is a 3-year process, initial accreditation covers those students who were admitted in the academic year in which the program was granted candidacy and they are considered to have graduated from a CSWE-accredited social work program. Following successful accreditation, a statement will appear on all transcripts of students who finish a bachelor’s in social work degree indicating completion of a Council on Social Work Education approved program.
Are there pre-requisites that must be taken before I apply?
There are no pre-requisites needed to apply for the BSW program. However, there are some recommended courses that can be helpful for interested students to take.
When and how should I apply?
Students can apply in the beginning of the spring semester each academic year and should have a minimum of 54 credits and have completed all of their General Education Requirements by the time they enter into the program in the fall semester.
Please read through the application document for required components and instructions for submission.
3 references are required:
- An academic instructor (Required ) AND
- A work/volunteer supervisor; OR a professional who has contributed to your leadership development and/or provided academic coaching to support you as a scholar.
- A third reference from any of the above options.
- Email the following link to your References to access the BSW Recommendation Form: https://ssw.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/258/2018/01/BSW-Recommendation-Form-Fillable.pdf.
- Ask your reference to submit the completed BSW Recommendation Form to the Office of Student and Academic Services via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline for the BSW Program is February 15, 2019. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student and Academic Services at 959.200.3605 or email@example.com.
When are students admitted to the program?
Every spring semester students are admitted into the program. Students must have sufficient credits to be considered a Junior by the end of the spring semester.