Testing and Isolation Information
The University of Connecticut has welcomed new and returning students, faculty, and staff back to our campuses this fall. We are dedicated to working together with public health experts and our state to maintain a quality UConn educational experience while keeping our community healthy. Comprehensive information on the University's plans, policies, and procedures relating to Covid-19 is available at reopen.uconn.edu.
Students, faculty, and staff who test positive for Covid-19 must follow University and School of Social Work policies and procedures depending on whether they are participating in in-person classes, remote learning, or field placements.
Information for BSW, MSW, and Ph.D. Students
Students living on the Storrs campus can learn about on-campus testing as well as isolation and contact tracing on the Testing page of the Reopening UConn website. More information on the types of isolation and quarantine being employed by UConn, including what individuals under each type should and should not do, is available on the Quarantine and Self-Isolation page.
Detailed instructions for self-quarantine for both on-campus and off-campus or commuter students is available on the Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) Covid-19 page.
For BSW and MSW Field Placements (Internal SSW protocol):
- A student who tests positive for Covid-19 should immediately stop going into the field placement and should self-quarantine for 14 days. The student should alert their field instructor immediately and notify the field agency of their status. The student must submit medical clearance from isolation form to SHaW before returning to field (or class if in person or hybrid).
- Field agencies may have remote field work/ remote opportunities that they student can do during self-quarantine. If the field agency does not have such remote field work, the student should participate in the remote field training resources that the UConn SSW Field Education department has provided on the Field Education HuskyCT site (12 hours per week for BSW students and 15 hours per week for MSW students). Students doing remote work from the SSW Field Education HuskyCT site should log their remote hours in the log provided and email it weekly to their faculty advisor and to email@example.com.
- The field placement agency may have their own guidelines regarding exposure, contact tracing, etc. that the student should follow.
- Students living on the Storrs campus must submit the medical clearance from isolation form to SHaW before returning to field (or class if in person or hybrid).
- View the Covid-19 Field Education FAQs.
Information for Graduate Students
- All graduate students whose work requires them to be on campus will be provided access to Covid-19 testing at no cost to the student. For details, read the Provost's announcement regarding graduate student testing.
- GAs who test positive for Covid-19 are expected to initiate a report directly to HR and are also expected to self-quarantine as instructed by HR. (Vault/SHaW will NOT be sending those results to HR due to HIPPA privacy laws. GAs are expected to report their positive tests results to HR by sending a note to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Information for SSW Faculty and Staff
For the most current information on UConn employee Covid-19 testing, including potential exposure testing, surveillance testing, and additional employee responsibilities, visit the Human Resources website.