We welcome your interest in becoming a field instructor for our MSW program. As a UConn School of Social Work field instructor, you are providing students with invaluable guidance, insight and mentorship in the field.
How to Become a Field Instructor for The University of Connecticut School of Social Work
Qualifications for all Field Instructors
To become a UConn SSW field instructor you must meet this criteria.
UConn SSW Field Instructors:
- Hold an MSW degree;
- Have two or more years of post-MSW social work experience;
- Have been employed by the current field setting for at least 6 months prior to the student’s arrival;
- Agree to provide 1-1/2 hours of supervision per week;
- Attend the Seminar in Field Instruction (SIFI). New field instructors are required to take this 14-hour seminar concurrently with their first field placement.
How to Apply
If you meet the qualifications above, please complete and return the Agency application form. The application form includes the necessary paper work for your affiliation as a field instructor at your place of employment.
Once your application is received, the Field Education Department will review your application and add your information to our database. We will contact you when there is an appropriate internship opportunity.
UConn SSW Field Instructor Benefits
Field Instructors with an active internship enjoy these benefits:
- Discounted registration fees for continuing education seminars:
- Discounts on seminars offered by the UConn SSW Continuing Education programs.
- Attend as many programs as you want at the advertised special registration rate and earn CECs toward licensure.
- Free CECs for workshops sponsored by:
- UConn School of Social Work Field Education Department
- New England Consortium of Graduate Social Work Field Education Directors (NECON)
- UConn Library Access:
- $25.00 fee waived for current field instructors
- To all UConn campus libraries
- UConn Department of Recreational Services:
- At the Storrs campus discounted access
- Pay the Faculty/Staff membership rate at the Student Recreational Facility
- Membership at the Student Recreational Facility includes access to the following UConn Storrs facilities:
- Guyer Gynmnasium (Basketball, Volleyball & Badminton Courts)
- Greer Field House (Basketball, Indoor Track & Table Tennis)
- Racquetball/Walleyball Courts
- Free Weights
- Cardiovascular Equipment
- Resistance Training Machines
- Selectorized Machines
- Brundage Pool
- Climbing Center