Graduation – MSW Candidates

Conferral of Degrees

Degree conferral requires submission of a Plan of Study for the Master's Degree by the student, that the student be in good academic standing and that all requirements for the degree have been completed satisfactorily by the deadline specified. The following schedule is as follows:

  • May Graduates:
    • All paperwork must be submitted by February 14, 2020. All coursework (field internship hours included) must be completed by May 10, 2020.
  • August Graduates:
    • All paperwork must be submitted by August 10, 2020. All coursework (field internship hours included) must be completed by August 24, 2020.

Degree Posting and Diplomas

Degrees are posted manually to your record and, consequently, your transcript may be updated 1 to 6 weeks after your actual conferral date. Notification is sent via email once your record has been updated.

Graduate diplomas are mailed approximately 10 to 12 weeks after your graduation date.

Diplomas are produced by an off-campus commercial printer and mailed via first class mail to the address designated as your mailing/billing address unless a diploma mailing address has been declared. There is no tracking information for first class standard mail. International shipping can take up to a month or longer. Diplomas will be withheld for those with an outstanding balance of $50 or more with the University.

University of Connecticut diplomas include the following:

  • the University of Connecticut school seal;
  • the school or college from which you are graduating;
  • the name you have chosen to appear on your diploma when you apply for graduation;
  • the signatures of the President of the University, the Dean(s) of your college(s), and the President of the Board of Trustees.

Minors and/or concentrations are not included on the diploma.

If you choose to attend the graduation ceremony, you will receive a diploma cover at that time. If you do not attend the ceremony, you can order a diploma cover through the Commencement Office.

Diploma Name & Address

The default name to be printed on a diploma is the Primary Name on your academic records. Students are allowed to edit first and middle names through the Diploma Name option in the Student Administration System, however any changes to last name will require an official name change request and appropriate documentation to facilitate the change. It is the student’s responsibility to review their name and make updates in a timely manner. Any diploma printed with an incorrect name will be subject to the standard replacement fee and timeframe. This includes spelling, capitalization, punctuation, and spacing. Please note there may be implications of having your name on your diploma differ from the name on your record, such as an inability to verify your degree or change in licensure or VISA status.

If you have questions about diplomas, contact the Degree Audit Office at (860) 486-6214.

Focused Area of Study Process

Students who wish to petition for a Focused Area of Study should first review the requirements to determine if they met all criteria. If all criteria is met, students should then fill out the Focused Area of Study 2019-2020 Form by Friday, March 13, 2020. If you are petitioning for multiple Focused Areas of Study, please submit a separate form for each.

Requirements for the Focused Area of Study will not be reviewed until after grades have been posted. Those that have fulfilled the requirements will receive a letter via mail early summer. The Focused Area of Study will not appear on your degree, it is verified through the letter sent.

Focused Areas of Study | 2019-2020

Focused Area of Study 2019-2020 Form


You cannot sit for the LMSW exam until the conferral date on your transcript. We encourage you to continue to check your transcript for the posting of your conferral. Once conferred, if you wish to request an official transcript please review the information at the following link

For important links on Connecticut’s social work licensure, please refer to the SSW Career Services website.

Transcript Requests

The school does not automatically send transcripts. Instructions on how to request a transcript can be found on the Registrar website.

Student Business Cards

Students are able to purchase Business Cards through the Document Production Center. Click here for further information.


Please visit for current information.