Non-Degree Program


We are excited that you are considering taking a course through our Non-Degree Program. A variety of morning, afternoon, evening and special schedule classes are available to help accommodate students’ personal and professional time commitments.

The Non-Degree Program enables you to register for graduate social work courses as a non-matriculated student. The program is ideal for:

  • Enrolling in courses to lighten your course load before applying to the MSW program
  • Helping to make a career decision about social work
  • Identifying career development courses for human service professionals

Enrollment Information

  • Individuals must have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
  • Students may take courses during the Fall, Spring, Summer and Winter Intersession.
  • A maximum of 6 credits may be taken each semester, except during winter intersession, not to exceed a total of 15 credits.
  • Registration is on a space-available basis.
  • 3-credit courses meet weekly for 2.5 hours for the entire 14 week semester or by special schedule.
  • Non-degree status does not constitute, guarantee, or imply admission or readmission into any program at UConn.

Transfer of Non-Degree Credits to MSW Program

  • All grades earned of B- or higher will be transferred to the student’s graduate record in their last semester.
  • A maximum of 15 credits can be transferred to your graduate record, no exceptions made.
  • Credits for courses are only valid for 6 years from the intended date of graduation. Students should plan accordingly taking the 6 year limit into consideration.

Non-Degree Program Academic Policy

Effective Fall 2017, to continue studying at the University of Connecticut School of Social Work, a non-degree student must maintain a “B” average in courses taken at the School.  If, after attempted 6 credits, or having been enrolled in two consecutive semesters, the student has not maintained a “B” average or better (i.e., a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better) permission to continue as a non-degree student at the UConn School of Social Work will be suspended.

Apply and Register

To apply and register for Non-Degree coursework

For further information please consider attending an information session on the MSW and Non-Degree Programs or email

Scholarship Opportunity

Non-Degree scholarship opportunities will be posted here once available.