The School of Social Work announces a call for proposals for the Dissertation Writing Fellowship. The fellowship is intended to foster a research-oriented academic culture within the PhD program, and is designed to provide support to PhD students in the final stages of completing their dissertation (the data analysis and writing phase).
One to two awards of $5,000 may be made during the 2020-21 academic year. Doctoral students are eligible for the fellowship if they are prepared to complete their dissertation within the one-year period following receipt of the fellowship. Students may receive this award once during their tenure in the PhD program and are encouraged to use the award as support to promote the timely completion of the PhD. The dissertation research is expected to make a significant contribution to the scholarly, policy and/or practice literature in the social work profession. A sub-committee of the Doctoral Committee will select award recipients. The fellowship will be awarded based on review of the following materials submitted by applicants:
- A current Curriculum Vita.
- A proposal of up to 1,500 words that contains the following:
- Overview: Summarize your dissertation research, including the social problem/issue being addressed, research methodology, and theoretical orientation utilized in the dissertation. Also, specify how this award will allow you to complete your dissertation in a timely manner (approximately 1,000 words);
- Impact: Identify the relevance of your research and the expected contribution your dissertation will make to the existing literature and the social work profession (approximately 250 words);
- Outcomes: Identify planned/potential outlets for dissemination of your dissertation research (approximately 250 words).
- Timeline: Describe the status of your work on the dissertation and the anticipated timeline for completion within the next year (no more than one page).
- A short statement from your Dissertation Committee Major Advisor that addresses the proposed timeline for completion of the dissertation and your eligibility for the award. This should not be an evaluative statement about your actual dissertation research.
Students may only receive one of the following awards in a given academic year: The Dissertation Research Fellowship, Dissertation Writing Fellowship, Vivian Michaelson Fellowship, and the Research Facilitation Fund.
Deadline for applications is 5:00 pm on Friday, April 30, 2021.