The School of Social Work announces the Vivian Michaelson Fellowship for a PhD student with dissertation research interests on women/girls involved in the criminal justice/juvenile justice system.
One award of $12,500 a year for up to two years (for a total award of $25,000) is available for the 2021-22 academic year. Doctoral students may apply for the fellowship following the successful defense of their dissertation proposal. Students may receive this award once during their tenure in the PhD program and should use the award as support to engage in activities related to dissertation research, including data collection/analysis and travel.
The dissertation research is expected to make a significant contribution to the scholarly, policy and/or practice literature in the social work profession related to women/girls and criminal justice/juvenile justice. A sub-committee of the Doctoral Committee will select award recipients. The fellowship will be awarded based on review of the following materials submitted by applicants:
- A current Curriculum Vita.
- A copy of the student’s academic transcript
- A proposal of up to 1,500 words that contains the following:
- Overview: Summarize the planned dissertation research, including how the dissertation addresses the role of women/girls in the criminal justice/juvenile justice system, proposed research methodology, and planned theoretical orientation (approximately 1,000 words);
- Impact: Identify the relevance of your research and the expected contribution your dissertation will make to the existing literature and the social work profession (approximately 250 words);
- Outcomes: Identify planned/potential outlets for dissemination of your dissertation research (approximately 250 words).
- Budget and Justification: Identify how the award will support your dissertation research. In particular, specify what this award will allow you to accomplish within your overall research design (no more than one page).
- Timeline: Provide a timeline for the completion of your dissertation (no more than one page).
- A short statement from your Dissertation Committee Major Advisor that addresses your eligibility for the award. This should not be an evaluative statement about your actual dissertation research.
Students may only receive one of the following awards in a given academic year: The Dissertation Research Fellowship, Dissertation Writing Fellowship, Vivian Michaelson Fellowship, and the Research Facilitation Fund.
Deadline for applications is 5:00 pm on Monday, May 2, 2022.